Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sears Catalog Electrician

Art Daniels

Art Daniels, 84, retired his position as an electrician at Dow Chemicals in 1986. With nothing more than a high school education, Art started working at Dow in 1950 as a lab technician, and eventually worked his way up in the company. A self confessed "nerd," Art actually didn't start work as an electrician until after teaching himself the basics on electrical work through a book that he ordered from a Sears and Roebuck catalog. Today Art lives with his wife on Weinert Road, just outside of Coleman, Mich.

Okay, I met this guy today at his home in Coleman. Ryan Wood was actually the one who found him though, so I can't take credit for that. I'm planning on using him, and possibly his wife for the photo column that I inherited for the incredibly talented Kevin Benedict. The column is called "Tales in the Township," and it highlights people living in the rural areas of Midland County that may otherwise not be covered in the news. This is my first crack at the column, and I think it's going to be a great start. Art is an awesome old man. He's just full of stories, including one about a chemical that he discovered, which had never been seen before. When I asked him what it was, he told me that is was "classified government information," and he was totally serious. Oh, and if you're wondering what he is doing in the photo, he is mole hunting. He found a mole in his yard, and he was trying to set a trap to catch it. The mask is to help him breath better in the chilly September air. Also, I just want to add that there will probably be more of Art to come. I'm going back to his house tomorrow morning to shoot some more and do another interview. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Kevin Benedict said...

Clean and simple. Totally your style. I like it. Looking forward to seeing the D.C. edit.

Nathan Morgan said...

You forgot to mention centered. :P

Blog Archive